- 2 1/2 # Ground beef
- 1 1/2 C Chopped onions
- 1 1/2 C Chopped celery
- 2 C Shredded carrots [I buy the match stick carrots and rough chop]
- 2 TBS Basil
- 2 TSP Parsley flakes
- 8 TBS Butter, divided
- 5 1/2 C Chicken broth [abt 3 cans or 42 oz] I buy the boxed broth in fat free and low sodium]
- 8 C Diced potatoes [abt 6 med to lg size]
- 1/2 C Flour
- 2 to 3 C Milk
- 16 Oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 16 Oz Sour cream
- S & P to taste - do this last
Cook and drain ground beef. In a dutch oven or soup pot saute the onions, celery, carrots, basil and parsley in 2 TBS butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes and meat. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until potatoes are done. While this is cooking...
... in a separate small skillet melt the rest of the butter and add the flour, cooking a few minutes, removing the raw flour taste. Add to soup and bring to a boil, cooking 2 minutes then reducing heat to low.
Add cheese and milk, starting with 2 cups. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add the other cup of milk to adjust desired thickness.
Remove from heat and add sour cream. Add half and check for your desired taste.
When reheating do not boil.
This is so good served with your favorite bread.
This recipe works halved.